The accession to the EU has created a reciprocal relation between Cyprus and the EU. Cyprus has a lot to gain from the Union but it can also make its own contribution to the creation of a prosperous and safe united Europe.
- EU accession offers both Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots a feeling of safety and it safeguards their fundamental human rights.
- The economic and social reforms made in the context of harmonization with the acquis communautaire have upgraded the quality of life in areas such as the protection of the environment, health, security levels and consumer protection.
- EU accession has opened up a larger market for Cyprus products and services.
- Cyprus becomes the south-easternmost edge of the enlarged Europe and a stronghold of Europe in eastern Mediterranean. Cyprus’ geostrategic position in the crossroads of three continents and its excellent relations with countries of the Middle East provide easy access to large Arab markets and make Cyprus a bridge through which the EU can exercise greater economic and political influence and play a leading role in the peace process in the region.
- Cyprus’ geographical position allows Europe to monitor and deal more effectively with serious problems such as illegal migration, drug trafficking and money laundering.
- The accession of Cyprus’ trade fleet makes the EU the largest maritime power internationally.