Cyprus Press, throughout a lifespan of almost 140 years, is characterized not only by a fulfilling and creative presence, but also by a fighting tradition and an impressive course. Despite a small market, it maintains a very high level, both in terms of pluralism and polyphony, as well as quality and aesthetic presence.
The history of Cyprus Press coincides with the history of Cyprus typography. Cypriot teacher, journalist and author Theodoulos Constantinides moved in May 1878 from Cairo used printing equipment and issued on 29 August of the same year, in Larnaka, the first Cypriot newspaper. For the newspaper’s publication permission was requested from the first British High Commissioner, since the island’s administration had been undertaken by the British. The permission was granted with the condition that the newspaper be published in English as well. Thus, the history of Cyprus Press begins with the unusual publication of a two-fold newspaper entitled ΚΥΠΡΟΣ – CYPRUS, which was issued simultaneously in both the Greek and English languages (two pages in Greek and two in English, which did not include, however, the exact same content).
The era of the daily newspapers in Cyprus began in 1920 with the publication of the daily ‘FOS’ (Light) by G. Frangoudis.
The first Cypriot newspaper issued in Turkish (Ottoman with Arabic alphabet) released only five copies in 1880, in Larnaka, with the title ‘UMIT’ (Hope) and its editor was the Armenian Alexan Sarafian. The first Turkish Cypriot newspaper issued by a Turkish owner circulated in Nicosia on 11 July 1889 under the name SADET (TOPIC). It was of weekly circulation and its owner was Kassapali Mehmet Emin Efenti.
Since 1878 when the first Cypriot newspaper, ΚΥΠΡΟΣ, was issued, more than 350 Greek Cypriot newspapers and magazines have circulated.
At present nine daily newspapers circulate in Cyprus as well as a large number of weekly, bimonthly, fortnightly, monthly, quarterly or of irregular circulation newspapers and magazines.