Within the framework of its activities in the field of Letters, the Cultural Services:
- Publish works of literature, history, philology and art interest,
- Subsidize various categories of publications, such as:
- Periodical publications of cultural context, aiming to support the publication of important journals containing articles and studies which promote aspects, people and events from the world of literary and artistic expression, history and cultural heritage of Cyprus.
- With the aim of providing incentives for the promotion and dissemination of Cypriot literature abroad and enhancing the mobility of Cypriot Literature and Cypriot writers internationally, the Cultural Services established the “Scheme for the Translation of Works of Cypriot Literary Writers from Greek into Foreign Languages”.
- The Cultural Services of the Ministry of Education and Culture, aiming at a broader mutual understanding between the two communities in Cyprus, through literature and letters in general, operate a subsidy scheme for the translation and publication of works by distinguished Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot literary writers from Greek into Turkish and from Turkish into Greek.
- Organize literary events in Cyprus and abroad.
- Subsidize literary societies and individuals for the organization of literary events in Cyprus and abroad, as well as the participation of literary societies and individuals in conferences and events abroad.
For the promotion of the Cypriot publications, the Cultural Services purchase and send to cultural and academic institutions, libraries, as well as embassies of the Republic of Cyprus abroad, an important amount of literary publications and publications of general interest. Additionally, the Cultural Services support the participation of literary societies in international book fairs abroad.
In addition, the Department of Cultural Services runs the institution of the State Prizes for Literature, awarded annually for poetry, short story – novella, novel, essay – literary study, young author, literature for younger children, literature for older children and teenagers, and illustration for literary book for children and teenagers.
The Prize for Excellence in Letters, Arts and Sciences is the highest honour the state awards to intellectuals and scientists. The prize is awarded for the significant and outstanding contribution of an intellectual or a scientist to the cultural upgrading and development of scientific research in Cyprus. The Prizes are awarded by the President of the Republic of Cyprus.