Department of Meteorology
The Department of Meteorology is a Department of the Ministry of Agricultural, Rural Development and Environment, and handles issues concerning the weather and climate of Cyprus. The mission of the Department of Meteorology is to provide services and information about the weather and climate to all sectors of economic and social activity in Cyprus in this way contributing to the welfare of the people and protecting their lives and properties. For the achievement of these targets the Department of Meteorology collects and uses meteorological information in the territory of Cyprus and cooperates frequently and on a regular basis with other National Meteorological Services and with the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
The main objectives and activities of the Department of Meteorology are:
- Operation of a Meteorological Station Network in the government controlled part of Cyprus for the collection of the necessary data to provide information for specific applications
- Issuing daily weather bulletins for Cyprus and informing the public through the media (newspapers, radio and television)
- Provision of meteorological services regarding weather forecasts, issuing warnings and other relevant information for the needs of civil aviation
- Issuing special weather bulletins and warnings for the Cyprus sea area for marine needs and other relevant activities
- Processing, classifying and publishing meteorological data
- Publishing studies and reports on the weather and climate
- Providing meteorological information and guidance for the needs of several sectors especially for agricultural applications, for development and management of water resources, for tourism and industry, for technical studies and constructions, for renewable energy sources and for environmental studies.
The Department of Meteorology is divided into four Sectors. The Sector of Climatology and Applications in Meteorology is responsible for the collection, quality control and statistical analysis of the meteorological data, the study of the Cyprus climate and the climate characteristics of several areas and the monitoring of climate change in Cyprus. The Synoptic and Aeronautical Sector is responsible for the provision of meteorological observations for aeronautical purposes, the general weather forecast, the weather forecast for the Cyprus sea area, the weather forecast for the eastern Mediterranean (Navtex), the local weather forecast, the preparation of upper air weather maps for aeronautical purposes, the airport weather forecast (TΑF), the forecast and preparation of warnings for the Cyprus FIR (SIGMETs), the weather forecast for agriculture and tourism and the issuing of warnings for extreme weather conditions.
The Sector of Station Technical Support is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Meteorological Stations Network in the government controlled part of Cyprus, for the maintenance and calibration of the Meteorological Instruments and for the preparation of the Public Procurements.
The Sector of Information Technology Support is responsible for the support of the computers and the office automation, for the network and internet administration, for the administration of the numerical weather prediction models, for the development and support of the database and for the support and development of the software.
For the achievement of all these needs, the Department of Meteorology runs its own forecasting models and operates a network of 143 rainfalls, 22 climatological, three synoptic and 40 automatic stations, one upper air station, 17 actinometric stations, two UV stations, one satellite station and two meteorological radars for replacing the old one situated in the area of Kykkos. The automatic stations have a telemetry system for the collection of the measurements and the input of the data in databases.
For further information:
Department of Meteorology website: www.moa.gov.cy/ms