Constructed in 1570 in a perfect circle with eleven bastions around the old town of Nicosia.
Cathedral of Agios Ioannis
Built in the old part of Nicosia in the seventeenth century with opulent fresco paintings that date to the eighteenth century.
Part of the old town of Nicosia, restored, with restaurants galleries and souvenir shops.
The oldest Byzantine church in Nicosia, believed to have been built in 1450 by Helena Paleologos.
A medieval Augustian monastery turned into a mosque since the sixteenth century.
Chryssaliniotissa Crafts Centre
A complex of workshops for traditional and modern Cypriot crafts such as glassware, woodwork etc.
Ancient city – Kingdom of Idalion
The area where according to mythology Adonis, lover of Aphrodite, was killed by a wild boar sent by her jealous husband.
Restored with the help of UNESCO, the church was originally built over eight hundred years ago. Its magnificent frescoes have retained their brilliance of colour.
Church of Agios Nikolaos tis Stegis
A good example of Byzantine architecture dating to the eleventh century, covered with frescoes. The church is included in UNESCO’s list of World Heritage sites.
It houses a monastery collection going back to time of the Emperor Alexios Comnenos I (1081 – 1118). One icon of the Virgin Mary kept in the monastery is considered the holiest on the island. The mausoleum of Archbishop Makarios III is at a short distance from the monastery.
Village of Fikardou
It received the EUROPA NOSTRA Award in 1987 for the restoration of some of its houses, excellent examples of rural eighteenth century Cypriot architecture. The whole village has been declared a monument.
Limassol Mediaeval Fort
Near the town’ old port, it is the place where Richard the Lionheart is said to have married Berengaria of Navarre and crowned her Queen of England in 1191. It houses the Cyprus Mediaeval Museum.
St. Nicholas of the Cats Monastery
The Monastery was founded in 325 A.D. by St. Helen, mother of Emperor Constantine the Great. The present church and monastery were reconstructed over Gothic ruins of the thirteenth century, when the church was rebuilt.
One of the ancient city-kingdoms of Cyprus situated east of the town of Limassol, with ruins from Archaic, Roman and Christian Periods.
Originally built in the thirteenth century and rebuilt in the fifteenth century in its present form, it served as the Grand Commandery of the Knights of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem. It later came under the domain of the Knights Templar. It is situated west of Limassol on the road to Pafos.
Situated west of Limassol, Kourion was an ancient city-kingdom of Cyprus. Its Greco-Roman theatre, built in the second century B.C., has been fully restored and is used for various performances. With its mosaic floors, the Stadium and other ruins, it is a spectacular archaeological site.
Church of Agios Lazaros
A fine example of byzantine architecture, it was built in the ninth century by Emperor Leo VI over the tomb of Saint Lazarus. The tomb is still under the sanctuary. The church was restored in the seventeenth century and its iconostasis is a unique example of baroque wood carving.
It is one of Cyprus’ city-kingdoms and its ruins date back to the thirteenth century B.C. It was rebuilt by the Mycenaean Greeks in around 1200 B.C.
Built in 1625 on Larnaka’s waterfront, it was used as a prison during the first years of British rule. It now houses the Larnaka Mediaeval Museum and the Larnaka Municipal Cultural Centre.
Church of Panagia Angeloktisti
Built in the eleventh century over the ruins of an Early Christian basilica, this Byzantine church is situated in the village of Kiti, west of Larnaka. A sixth century mosaic of the Virgin Mary and Child between the two Archangels from the original building rivals the Ravenna Mosaics.
Hala Sultan Mosque
Situated near Larnaka Airport, this mosque was built in 1815 over the tomb of Umm Haram, a relative of the Prophet Mohammed. Today it is an important place of worship for Moslems living in Cyprus.
One of the most important Neolithic settlements dating to 7000 B.C., it is situated off the Nicosia – Limassol road. Replicas of the original round houses have been constructed.
Kalavasos – Tenta
Neolithic settlement, near the village of Kalavasos.
Famous for its lace and silverware, Lefkara is a picturesque village off the Nicosia – Limassol road. Legend has it that Leonardo da Vinci visited the village and bought an altar cloth which he donated to the Milan Cathedral.
The Mosaics of Pafos
These mosaic floors, depicting scenes from Greek mythology, date from the third to the fifth centuries. On the site of Nea Pafos, the mosaics decorate the floors of four luxurious villas, ruins of the old city of Pafos.
Tombs of the Kings
Dating back to the fourth century B.C., these underground tombs are carved out of solid rock.
Sanctuary of Aphrodite
One of the main pilgrimage centres used until the fourth century, it is situated on the site of the old city-kingdom of Palaipafos.
Petra tou Romiou
Legend says that Aphrodite rose from the waves at this place. The name, Petra tou Romiou, the ‘rock of the Greek’, refers to the legendary frontier-guard of the Byzantine Empire Digenis Akritas. According to tradition, he heaved a large rock into the sea and destroyed a Saracen ship.
Agios Neophytos Monastery
Twelfth century monastery founded at the north of Pafos by the Cypriot hermit and writer Neophytos. Well preserved Byzantine frescoes can be seen in the Engleistra, the rock chapel carved out of the mountain. One of these frescoes carries the signature of the earliest Byzantine painter known by name.
Founded in the twelfth century, the monastery has a collection of icons and other treasures, while its winery produces vintage wine.
Polis tis Chrysochous
A popular resort with wonderful clear beaches, 37 kilometres north of Pafos.
Baths of Aphrodite
Situated on the road from Pafos to Polis, it is a natural grotto with a pool, where according to tradition Aphrodite used to bathe.
Also called The Last Wilderness of Cyprus, it is inaccessible except by four-wheel drive vehicles. Dirt roads, unspoiled beaches, nature hikes, rare plant species and a nature reserve for endangered green and loggerhead turtles at Lara beach are part of this region of breath-taking beauty.
Major coastal resorts boasting lovely beaches and exciting nightlife.
A fishing shelter, where French poet Arthur Rimbaud worked in the 1880’s.
An attractive spot for scuba divers, with beaches and coves and a rugged shoreline.