The Council of Educational Evaluation Accreditation (CEEA/SEKAP)
The Council of Educational Evaluation-Accreditation is the competent authority in the Republic of Cyprus for carrying out programmatic evaluation and accreditation of the Private Institutions of Higher Education.
“Accreditation” is the approval for the inclusion of an institution or a programme of study in a list of accredited institutions or accredited programmes of study as a result of an enactment and formally recognises that the institution or programme has met certain predetermined minimal criteria or standards.
The CEEA is an independent body appointed by the Council of Ministers upon the recommendation of the Minister of Education and Culture. The Council consists of the Chairman, the Vice Chairman and five members. At least five members must be university professors. The tenure of office of the Council is 5 years and can be renewed only once.
Currently, a number of programmes offered by the Private Institutions of Cyprus have been evaluated and accredited by the CEEA. These programmes fall into the following categories:
Academic and Vocational programs of study leading to the following qualifications:
- Certificate (1 year), Diploma (2 years) and Higher Diploma (3 years). For access to these programs the Apolyterion or equivalent qualification is a prerequisite.
- Undergraduate programmes leading to the award of a Bachelor Degree. For access to these programs the Apolyterion or equivalent qualification is a prerequisite.
- Postgraduate programmes leading to the award of Masters and PhD Degrees. The prerequisite for access to these programs is the Bachelor’s Degree.
The CEEA is an integral part of the tertiary education in Cyprus and has succeeded in gaining the trust and respect of the Cypriot society and, enjoys recognition in the wider European and international area.
The CEEA is a member of the following bodies:
- The International Quality Assurance Agency in Higher Education (INQAAHE).
- The European University Association (EUA).
- The European Association of Institutions in Higher Education (EURASHE).
The Council also collaborates with:
- The Council for Higher Education Accreditation (USA).
- The International Association of Universities (IAU).
- The Quality Assurance Project (HRK – Germany).
- The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA – England).
- The Central and Easter European Network for Quality Assurance Agencies (CEE).
- The European Association of Quality Assurance (ENQA).