The number of persons with disabilities in Cyprus is at the same level as the European and global levels, i.e. around 10% of the population. Supporting the rights of persons with disabilities ranks very high in the priorities of the Ministry of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance. The Ministry aims at the improvement of the quality of life of persons with disabilities. The Ministry’s objective is the drawing up and implementation of reforms so as to enable the inclusion of persons with disabilities into society.
The Department for Social Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities was established in January 2009 within this framework, in order to undertake the role of a central agent for the formulation, co-ordination, implementation, monitoring and control of policies for persons with disabilities, in co-operation with the relevant ministries and the Cyprus Confederation of Persons with Disabilities Organizations.
The Department is responsible for the following:
- Monitoring and co-ordination of the effective implementation of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which was ratified by Cyprus in 2011.
- Introduction of a new System of Assessment of Disability and Functionality.
- Re-organization of vocational training and rehabilitation and the creation of new and modern training and employment programs for persons with disabilities.
- The effective management and modernization of social benefit schemes for persons with disabilities (severe disability allowance, care allowance to persons with tetraplegia or paraplegia, allowance for the blind, mobility allowance, financial assistance for the provision of wheel chairs, technical aids and equipment, cars etc).
- The promotion of values and attitudes that create an inclusive environment for persons with disabilities.
The Ministry of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance, aiming at the rationalization of government policies, is currently in the process of transferring the responsibility for the management of all benefits related to disability, from the Social Welfare Services to the Department for Social Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities.
Department for Social Inclusion of Persons with Disabilities
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel.: +357 22815015